Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Fig Almond Anise Dark Chocolate

When my co-worker and ace snack-finder Dana announced she had a bar of chocolate with figs, anise, and almonds, I jumped up for the challenge. She found it at Chase's Farm Stand in Wells Maine, which by law farm stands are usually loaded with interesting food and other goodies.

The first bite was mostly anise, which was quite disconcerting. The second bite was anise and fig, which was better because one balanced the other (strong/sweet). Third was the almond and anise, which was OK. The almond pretty much got lost, and the only real interest the almond has is to go along for the ride with the chocolate.

I have to say if offered another piece, I would politely decline. To echo Dana's sentiment, if the stuff was INSIDE the chocolate, it might be better, or less tactile (specifically the anise). But I think I might have to do some farm stand exploration, word on the street is that they also had a pomegranate seed bar too.

2 comments:

Marli said...

if nothing else, points for originality - it looks so very very different from any other chocolate bar I've ever seen!

Unknown said...

Count me IN on the stuff INSIDE the chocolate. It SOUNDS like a winner to me. I like figs, anise, and almonds [though I would like even more with… pecans!]

There are some chocolate bars at Trader Joe's with Raisins and Pecans and [used to be] Milk Chocolate. Now it is DARK Chocolate and R & P's. Not as good to my tastes.