Sunday, August 3, 2008

Cereal or French Toast -- How about both?

This morning, when my wife suggested we make french toast for the kids, I jumped at the opportunity to try something I saw on the show Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on the Food Network. It turns out there's a restaurant in Baltimore called the Blue Moon Cafe that serves Cap'n Crunch French Toast.

We didn't have Cap'n Crunch, but we did have Trix. Here's how to make Cereal French Toast:
  1. Crush the cereal in a bag or with a mortar and pestle. I imagine it would work well with many crunchy, sugary cereals such as Cap'n Crunch, Trix, Honeycomb, Fruit Loops, Cocoa Puffs, Fruity Pebbles, Honey Nut Cheerios, and even Cinnamon Toast Crunch. Don't crush it too much, you don't want it to be a powder.
  2. Mix eggs, milk, vanilla and sugar thoroughly in a bowl. I find it's usually about one egg per piece of bread.
  3. Dip pieces of bread in the egg mixture, then in the crushed cereal.
  4. Cook the french toast in butter at a medium heat until the toast is cooked just through. Be careful not to char the cereal.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Dawn Haley Morton said...

I think the term "died and gone to heaven" applies here. Excellent post, Brian! I'm also a huge huge fan of the Diners/Dives show, my arteries clog just watching it.

Anonymous said...

yeah i saw that episode and was just trying to get the recipe for it, and saw your post! im making it tomorow morning with capn crunch, i think frosted flakes would be yummy too